Tuesday, May 29, 2012

DEJA VU... MY CELLPHONE RANG TODAY... THE CALLER ID SHOWED ME THAT SKIP WAS CALLING... A STRANGE VOICE WAS ON THE OTHER END... OH MY GOD...

DEJA VU... MY CELLPHONE RANG TODAY... THE CALLER ID SHOWED ME THAT SKIP WAS CALLING... A STRANGE VOICE WAS ON THE OTHER END... OH MY GOD....

BY GLORIA FAYE BROWN BATES/ aka GRANNY GEE

MAY 29, 2012

Two years ago today... May 29, 2010 on a Saturday evening... my son, Tommy died while running and playing with his three year old son on the beach. They had just gotten there safely ... while Taban's mother, and the rest of the family were putting their luggage into the rooms... Tommy and Taban disappeared without telling anyone... to go down to the beach in front of the big hotel they were staying in.

Shortly before they got there... Tommy called me to say 'Mama, we are almost there.' He told me he would call back later, and that he would send me pictures from his cellphone of Taban playing on the beach. He did get to send several photos and one video to my computer... his cellphone fell to the sand... when he collapsed. Two blockages to his heart... no one knew.

Tommy almost didn't go to the beach but, for some reason instead of staying home, he became happy about spending his first time playing on the beach with his son. Unknowingly, he barely made it there in time... he only got to play for a short time... Tommy had another trip he had to leave on... Tommy walked into Heaven from playing with Taban. He had kept his promise to his little boy.

Not even an hour later after he'd called to say they were almost there... the house phone rang. I looked at the caller ID, it showed Tommy was calling. I smiled as I answered it.

'Ma 'am, I have a man collapsed here on the beach, he's not breathing'! I'm not sure if I heard, I'm sure I did ... but, my mind was blocking what he was saying. 'Why are you on my son's cellphone'? The man repeated what he said... after that I must have heard him... my world began to darken... it would stay like that for almost these two years.

Today, I was standing outside talking to a friend of ours... we were talking about today being the day that Tommy... died at the ocean.

My cellphone rang, I saw on the caller ID that it was Skip calling. I smiled as I answered it with the bluetooth on my head (I like that thing!)... I'm like Tommy was... I love gadgets and toys. :)))

I heard Spanish voices in the background, while someone was talking in Spanish... I was trying to answer and I felt myself begin to feel afraid. I didn't realize it but... again... I was crying. I just 'knew something had happened to Skip... how did those Spanish people have his cellphone if something hadn't happened!?

I wanted to know where Skip was, what was wrong. I looked at our friend who was alarmed. Inside I hated that I was being upset in front of him. I was crying, I was embarassed to be seen doing that. I couldn't understand the person speaking. Then, I didn't care... I was afraid something had happened to the only person I have left in this world whom I love with my very heart, soul.

I pressed the key to end the call, I began calling Skip's cellphone. I was frantic... I was thinking of another time, another place when the caller ID showed the name of the person I loved with my heart... when I answered to hear a strange voice. Something has happened to Skip! Oh my God! It's just like when Tommy died... today is the anniversary of Tommy's death.

I can't describe to you how I felt... it was like my mind was a bird trapped in a cage, beating its wings to get out. The cellphone kept ringing, no answer. I kept repeating my call..... until....

His cellphone was answered by..... him! 'Oh Skip, you are alright!' I was smiling and so, so happy! Skip's voice was strong... and guess what? There wasn't anything wrong with him! He, then......told me something strange.....

'Just before I got him on the cellphone.... he had just tried to call me.... and he got Spanish voices, instead of me'!!!

We couldn't understand what had happened. I told Skip of all days this was just too strange, it did upset me so much. When I knew Skip was alright... I was alright!

My world didn't turn upside down... at one moment it seemed it would! :))) Everything's all right... guess who is so thankful with her very heart? Yes, you are right.... Granny Gee/Gloria... me! :)))

I just felt tears come into my eyes, my heart felt like it 'squeezed a hug' inside my chest... tonight I write with alot of happiness in my soul, my very being. My life could have been turned upside down again on the eve of my son's death.... sending me into darkness...

Deja vu.... it seems somehow the happiness I felt when knowing Skip was alright... leveled the pain inside me enough today for ... me to be alright. Isn't it so strange? Deja vu............

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that Spanish speaking people really gave you a scare! Sounds like you and Skip need to go see someone about your cellphones. That would have scared me too! I am so glad Skip was alright! Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete