Saturday, July 21, 2012

Hi, My Name Is Gloria...


Hi, My Name Is Gloria...

By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee

He was sitting there in the old chair of faded brown, the material worn in many places.  There were spots all over it... the old chair had seen its better day.

The man sitting there was aged, he was also, faded from the day when he was young, strong, in his prime.  Now, he was as sad-looking as that old chair he sat in.

Skip and I walked up to him, began talking.  I noticed his hands, they were older hands that had seen lots of work in their lifetime.  Usually, Skip will introduce me to everyone he knows... he didn't get to this time.  We were enjoying talking to each other.

I walked toward him introducing myself... 'my name is Gloria, it's nice to meet you'.  The man looked down at his hands and said 'it's nice to meet you, too... my hands are too dirty to shake your hand'.

I smiled at him saying ...'your hands aren't too dirty to shake my hand'.  I took his hand and shook it.  He smiled the biggest of smiles that reached my heart.  'It's very nice to meet you, too', he said.  'My name is Wayne'.

Later when we were on our way home, I thought about this man, and how he looked as if he'd worked very hard in his life... I was honored to shake his hand... I didn't mind if it was 'dirty'.  I wouldn't have reached out to shake it, if I were going to be offended.

I reached out to shake his hand
wanting to introduce myself to this elderly man
'Hi, my name is Gloria', I said to him

The elderly man looked down... then, spoke to me
I would shake your hand but, mine are dirty, you see
I kept my hand outstretched to take his

'Your hands aren't too dirty to shake my my hand', I told him
He looked back down at them
Looked up, gave me his hand for me to shake

He smiled the biggest smile, said 'my name is Wayne'
'I'm so glad you came
Skip and I were glad we came, too

By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/ aka Granny Gee

1 comment:

  1. That was so nice of you to shake that man's hand. Sometimes just a hand shake or a little pat on someone's shoulder will make a difference in a person's life. Sometimes that is all it takes just to bring a smile to them and brighten up their day. This is one of the reasons you are my friend! You have a heart soooo big and kind! Love, Ms Nancy

    ReplyDelete