Monday, August 19, 2013

I Will Put My Hand Down Its Throat... If Need Be



I Will Put My Hand Down Its Throat... If Need Be
By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee




Years ago, I drove up in the drive-way to visit my mother.  I saw her big, yellow dog underneath the Oak tree.  He was laying on the ground, his paws were frantically pawing at his face.

I sat there several moments wondering 'what in the world'!  I realized something was wrong with him.  Something 'bad' was wrong with him!

I hurried out the door of my car, bumped my head, said 'Damn'!  I didn't stop to think about the pain... I hurried to Daryll, the big, yellow dog.

I saw foam around his mouth... I felt a sick feeling in my stomach.  What's wrong with him... how can I help him if I don't know what's wrong?  I felt 'pure panic'!

I couldn't let him lay there, die right in front of my eyes.  I was dressed in a beautiful dress, high heels... the thought went through my mind... 'I am going to get dirty'!

I was on my knees beside Daryll before I knew it.  I didn't want him to bite me... but, I wasn't going to 'just let him die'!

I grabbed his face, and I opened his mouth.  His paws had been pawing at his mouth... when I opened it... I saw 'why'!

A chicken bone from a piece of grilled chicken (a thigh bone) had lodged itself in the roof of his mouth... he couldn't get it out!  He must have been trying for quite some time... he looked really bad... weak.

I quickly grabbed that bone, stuck my finger in the space between the bone, and the roof of his mouth.  I was so thankful... the bone popped right out!

That was the day I learned not... to ever give bones to pets ever again!  I'm horrified when I see people give dogs, cats .... bones from any kind of meat... unless it's a 'huge' bone'.

Our Pups never get bones... the only bones they ever get are the rawhide chew bones... and their treats.

So, think about that when you go to feed chicken bones to your dogs.  I see a lot of people 'just throw their bones' at dogs for them to eat.  I cringe when I see that... but, it's none of my business.

I will jump in to save it... if I have to.  I will put my hand down its throat if need be to ... save it.

4 comments:

  1. I would too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is fantastic! I was paying so much attention to the style of writing that I had to go back and reread the story. Magnificent! Will definitely watch out for bones when feeding animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you would have made a wonderful Vet!! If other people cared for people and animals as much as you do--------this world would be so much better off!!! Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete