Saturday, August 31, 2013

Jumping Spiders ... I Call Them 'Kiddiddlehoppers'!

Jumping Spiders...  I Call Them 'Kiddiddlehoppers'!

By Linda Ivie (My 1st Cousin... she also, experienced 'all' I did, at our Grandma Alma, George's.  I am 'Faye' in this memory she wrote for me.  Thank-you, Linda, for sharing a memory that I can share with everyone.  Love,Gloria 'Faye'...)





These are my cousin's words; I didn't change them in any way:


I remember a cold winter morning where my cousin (Faye) and I were sleeping at grandmas house.  Our grandparents were in the other room, sleeping.  I had to get up to go to the bathroom, when I saw a large spider on the floor. 

I am afraid of spiders, so naturally I woke my cousin up to kill it.  We laid in bed, almost petrified with fear, because every time we moved, the spider arched up and acted like it was going to jump on us. 

We were at least 10 feet away and we both knew those little monsters were capable of jumping pretty far.  I remember throwing something at it, it attacked the object, I quickly made my escape to the bathroom. 

I don't remember how my cousin escaped, all I knew was that I had to go to the restroom before my bladder burst. 

My grandparents house always had hidden  monsters in one form or another.  To this day, I have such a fear of spiders. 

I can be sleeping, can almost sense something looking at me and I will open my eyes, and low and behold,  a spider is looking at me, waiting for my first move!

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................



Kiddlehoppers...
By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee





I am so happy to put Linda's story here.  It validates my stories of the 'kiddlehoppers'... she calls them 'jumping spiders'.  The proper name is 'katydid'... I never knew... I couldn't bear to think about them through the years.  I still 'run up with them'... I still have the same reaction... I freeze... until......................................................

Don't let me run up on one!  I can't take it!  Okay, okay... so, I 'freeze' in one spot... too terrified to move.  It stares me down... I stare it down.  It knows I'm afraid of it... it............. smiles at me!

I stand there, my eyes opened wide... I'm so scared.  How can I get out of this situation?  I feel as if I will faint; my breath's coming in shallow breaths.  

The damn thing takes a step toward me, I scream!  I back up... it jumps around toward me!  Cold chills run down my body, I'm going to faint!  

It jumps around in glee!  That fat, little round belly!  It looks like a little pink-fleshed man... standing there, looking up at me... with those... eyes; those 'knowing' eyes.  It's ... laughing an evil laugh!

It 'knows me'!  I know these things come from Hell... to try to get me!  Living at my Grandma Alma's house.. I 'knew the house was the portal to Hell... it sat over it ... guarding it!  

Hell 'sent things' constantly to keep the house in turmoil... to keep the 'hell-raising' atmosphere.  No one could 'raise hell' like my... family.  All the children ... lived it; I'm not the only one.  I'm not the only one with such scars.  I'm not the only one who still remembers the pain.

It's a good thing I come from a 'hell-raising family'... because I'm not going to take any .......... for long.  Just long enough to think my way out of it!  There's going to be trouble... just keep me cornered 'long enough'... 'I'm about to become Hell... I can show you how to raise hell'!  

I never show that side to anyone... I don't encounter situations to make 'it come out'.... but... I promise you, it's 'there'... always waiting.  It was born 'in me'.... It's part of my family heritage... the ability to 'raise hell'.  

I don't like that 'it's there'... but, I'm glad in a sense... for those times someone tries to 'run over me'.  I ... can hold my ground... while smiling a sweet smile, using a soft voice.  But... I'm just before... raising hell, if pushed.  No one likes me, then... I can't bear myself, then.  That's because... I mean to win.  I will.  

I felt a 'roar' inside my body... it was rushing to the surface.  All hell was going to break loose!  It was my little fighting spirit rushing to save me.  I was going to whip that kiddlehopper's ass!  One of us had to go!  There's not enough room for the both of us!  

A little girl, and a big-ass kiddlehopper stood there, locked in a gaze.  The kiddlehopper's not afraid of her... why, she's just a little girl.  It begins to see the 'red in her eyes'... it began to realize that was a .... bad sign.  It began to feel fear.

It began to bluff her; it jumped toward her.  She screamed!  He got his confidence back!  Jump, jump, jump!  It jumped around, rushed at her trying to get on her bare feet.  The little girl was jumping, trying to stay away from it!  Until.....

She stepped forward... calmly took her bare foot.... and crushed its little ass!  That fighting spirit was learning to come out in that little girl... down there at Grandma Alma, and George's.  She stood there, smiled a sweet little smile, said in a soft voice, 'I got your ass'!





1 comment:

  1. I don't like them either! I use to see them down in the basement. I still see them once in a while outside where the basement is. The basement is no longer useful. It has become unsafe through the years. I didn't like those kiddidlehoppers back then and I don't like them now! Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete