Monday, September 2, 2013

Maybe It's The Hell I Saw Raised...



Maybe It's The Hell I Saw Raised...
By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee

My beautiful mother as a young woman... it was always said she was the most beautiful woman around.  She always looked like Elizabeth Taylor.  I always wanted to grow up to be as beautiful as her............................



We've been sitting here watching Medea movies... and I'm going to have to tell you... I have laughed so much.

Do you know my favorite parts?  It's when someone tells Madea she can't make them do something... or is awful to her.  I love it, when out of the blue... she 'shows them a thing or two'!

For instance, she put her foster daughter on the school bus, told the kids on the bus that they'd better leave her alone.  One defiant boy said, 'what you going to do about it, old lady'?  She whipped up on his head in a split second.  She gave him what he needed.  I loved it!

I love to see a bully get some of their medicine back.  I believe in an eye for an eye... if you hurt somebody... then, you need to feel it back.  What do you think?  Would people 'dish it out'...if they knew what they dished out... was most definitely coming back to them?

Maybe it's the hell I saw raised as a child, when people were treated unfairly because they weren't strong enough to fight for themselves.  Maybe it's that I don't like bullies, don't like people who try to be the boss... because they know how to intimidate, they are stronger.

Whatever it is... I 'pure love it' when a bully 'gets it'.  I love it when mean people who mistreat others... 'get it'.   I can't bear for people or animals to be mistreated, harmed.  It hurts my heart... I can't stand to know they've been hurt, maimed... killed.

But... when a person is the one who does wrong to injure others... and they are caught up... where they get what they deserve... I feel happy inside.  Isn't that awful?  I 'pure love' it.  I am wanting to put my 'two cents' in... I'd love to give them 'what for'... also.  I want them to ... hurt.  I want to see it... hear it.

How awful is that?  I learned this as a little girl as I watched the hell-raising... the fights.  Flesh pounding flesh, screams, thumps, bangs of someone's head hitting furniture, the floor.  Bodies falling all over the place.  Sometimes, I would see teeth laying on the floor... bloody teeth.  I couldn't breathe for the fear that coursed through my little body... especially...

Blood... oh my God, I would see blood running out of wounds... blood on the floor.  I wanted the weaker one to beat the person who did that to them... back.  Beat them good.  Sometimes, this little girl would run to help... what can a little child do?

I'd get slapped down... because sometimes, that was my mama who 'was beaten down to the floor' to lay in blood.  I wanted to ... kill somebody for hurting my mama.  I hated them.

Getting back to the Medea movies... and seeing her just 'jerk up somebody' when they deserved it... you can see why I loved it.  Sometimes, we need people who can be 'mean enough' to protect others... who will act, ask questions later.  Who will 'put the fear of God' in someone who dares to hurt another person, animal.

Oh... this is another example of 'acting'... when bad things happen in a home such as I lived in as a child... no one knew.  Why, even a child has to learn how to go 'out in public'... pretend nothing's wrong... all the while the other kids make their child's life 'pure hell'.  Hell at home; hell at school... never no peace for a little girl.

Some little girls never forget that. Some little girls just smiled sweetly when people would say.... 'you have the nicest family'!  This little girl would say softly, 'thank-you'.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank You Granny Gee for that honest,heartbreaking story.As I was reading it tonight, it was a story very similar to my dear friend who came for a 3 day visit, and went home today.We grew up together as children as are mothers were childhood friends. She lived in a house where she was the victim of child abuse, and thrown out of the house at age 15. My mother took her in and she stayed awhile, but ended up leaving and getting in trouble with the law. She ended up doing ten years in a state prison and received no contact with anyone during that time.I told her a few months ago how sorry I was not to send her a couple of bucks, a card, or even maybe a visit just to let her know someone cared. But also at the same time I am in my early twenties settling into my career, love and health issues that I have had since birth. It never hit me about her until my friend's son went to jail and I saw how important it was to have that connection with family and friends, to be there to help with the little things, that were meant so much. I did apologize to her 2 few months ago about not being there for her. Her response was a hug and said we were young and you had enough to think about instead of me, it was her fault for getting in trouble, but also she was so young and where was she to go. Back then there weren't the access to help like today. So she now has a family, been married for 22 years and working for the state in the motor vehicle department for just as long, and not many people knows of her past, and she is probably one of my closest friends and the one I have the most respect for, because like your story she marches on happy in her life but also memories that we still can sit back and remember good times and have many laughs, as we did this week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those Madea movies too! In fact, I have some of them here at home! My daughter gave me some of thoe movies. You are right---if people can take it, they shouldn't dish it out!! Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete