Monday, September 8, 2014

IN LIGHT There Are Shadows ... But, Not 'Scary' Shadows

In Light There Are Shadows ... But, Not 'Scary' Shadows
By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee


Photo is of me as a young woman ... Gloria Faye Brown Bates/ aka Granny Gee ................


 


I was reading over my last post/story ... and laughed at myself. I got very caught up in my writing about light, shadows ... good shadows, happy shadows, bad shadows.

I wrote that in light, there are no shadows ... I didn't say that I meant ... there are no 'scary' shadows.

I wrote so much about the dark, and shadows ... that when I got to 'light and shadows' ... in my mind, I wasn't seeing any dark shadows in a lot of light!

I am writing this to let everyone know what I meant. I'm sure there are many people who ... understood what I meant, though. :) Many people know me by now, they can understand sometimes, I say things in a different way.

By the time I wrote my last sentence, and title ... in my mind thinking about a lot of light ... I wasn't seeing any shadows at all.

I'm a person who doesn't like the darkness ... only when the pain of life happens in my life ... do I welcome it. It's a protective blanket to blind me to what's happened until time to become brave, strong enough to come back ... take on life once again.

I love shadows ... happy, cosy, comforting shadows. I'm uneasy if I can't identify shadows when it's in a scary setting. I've been in places in my life ... where bad things happen ... not all shadows are 'good'.

One example ... as a teenager, I was walking back to my mother's home from my grandmother's ... they lived a mile apart. I was walking on the sidewalk under huge, old trees that almost closed out the light from the night lights.

Someone was following me ... when I stopped to look back ...the footsteps stopped. I would walk quietly, and hear them following me! I began to run ... the footsteps ran, also. I looked back ... a dark shadow was chasing me!

Just as I got to the corner to turn to go up the hill to my mother's home ... the footsteps caught up to me, and a voice called out to me.

It was a young, black man calling me by my name only my family members knew to call me. I was very frightened of him. I kept running ... I slowed to a walk in my mother's yard. As I walked toward the porch, I ran into a 'damn' spider web!

I almost fainted, felt very weak. I made it up to the porch, and tried to get my composure. I knew my mother would make me quit walking if she knew what had happened.

When I went inside, she told me that I looked as if I'd seen a ghost. I reassured her all was fine!

Anyway ... that's an example of scary shadows from the dark! I never did know, or see the young man who chased me ... if I ever saw him again in this life ... I didn't realize it. I sure didn't stop that night to find out who he was! I felt ... danger!




Photo of me; story written by me.  Both are owned by me, Gloria Faye Brown Bates/ aka #Granny Gee

 

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment