Sunday, May 3, 2015

Whoops, I Said it Again ... Damn!



Whoops, I Said it Again ... Damn!





Photos are of me as a little girl.  They are owned by me ... By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee/@grannygee




For the past week I have been sick with a ... damn ... cold.  That's right ... a damn cold!  I'm really wanting it to be gone, congestion and all.  Damn!

Today, I went to an appointment at 2:00 pm.  I drove in the pouring rain ... I didn't feel like driving in it.  I just wished to be home, in bed.  Of course, I hadn't been in bed before I left ... it's just while I was out driving in the pouring rain, not feeling well ... I decided I wished I was in bed.  Damn!

I reached the doctor's office, walked inside ... put my umbrella in a plastic bag so, it wouldn't drip all over the place.  Damn!  I didn't feel worth a darn.  I wished to be home.  

The lady at the desk smiled at me as I walked to it.  What's your name, she asked.  I told her, and she looked for my name.  

What time is your appointment she asked.  I told her.  The other lady walked over, smiling.  I liked both of them.  They checked, and told me I was a week early for my appointment ... it was for May 11th at 2:20 pm.  Damn!  I could have been home ... in bed.  I just didn't feel good at all.

I drove back home in the pouring rain.  I was surprised by how everyone was driving ... there was lots of traffic.  Everyone was driving at a safe speed ... which meant very slow.  Damn!  I wished I was home in bed.

My mama washed my mouth out when I was about 4-5 years old.  She used good old Ivory soap.  I know how it smells, how it tastes.  She was washing the word 'damn'... right out of my mouth.  

She heard me say it when she walked up behind me playing with my tea set.  I had put sand in the little cup, decided to dip snuff like I saw my Grandma Alma do.  I got choked.  Damn!  

To this day, that word has been part of my vocabulary.  She didn't know she didn't wash it right out of my mouth.  I wish she had.  Damn!

I'm home now, have been for a few hours ... I still haven't been to bed ... I knew I wouldn't go to bed, I just wanted to be home.  I've been saying 'damn' too much lately.  Damn!  Whoops!  I said it again ... damn!

Note by this author:  I wrote this on Friday when I was still really very sick.  I was, and am at the point where I've been sick too long ... now, it's frustrating not to be over the congestion, coughing.  So, the only thing I can say, or think is .... "damn".  It's not meant in an ugly way :)

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! Ha! I wonder if your Mama was here now if she would try to wash that word out of your mouth again? I am sorry you went to your appointment a week early. I know how it is when you don't feel good and just want to be home. I hope you feel better very soon! Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete