Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Not Only That... I Would Die... Laughing

Not Only That... I Would Die... Laughing
By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee

Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee.... Summer 2013


I wasn't used to dating, much less going dancing... nor getting to indulge in the 'evils of the world'.

This one particular night I went to a party that was thrown at the community house.  I was a naive fifteen years old... so, young and dumb.  I was too pretty for my own good... and I was becoming aware of it.

That night I danced until midnight with all the boys... oh my, I had a happy, good time!  I loved to dance, had been dancing since I could remember.  My mother, her sisters... friends, all danced with me as a little girl.  I could dance!  :)))  Dance... I did!

I did something I'd never-ever done... shouldn't have done.  I began drinking alcohol with my friends.  I didn't 'know it would do me that way'!  I got intoxicated!  I was 'just damn' ...drunk... I didn't know it... until I stopped dancing.  It was time to go home.

Boys wanted to take me home... but, I promised my cousin Ray, that I would wait for him to take me home.  Sure enough, he walked up, told me to get in the car.  I got in giggling... I couldn't stop laughing.

As he began to drive... my stomach felt sick.  I had to throw up!  Ray told me to roll down the window, stick my head out.  He kept saying 'I'm going to get in trouble... you are drunk, Faye'!

My mother had instructed him to watch after me, not let me get into trouble.  What everyone forgot was... I had a mind of my own!  I thought I was grown up... and I thought I could drink that stuff... and still stand on my feet.

That night I learned what 'drunk' meant... at first, it was fun.  As time wore on... it 'didn't feel fun'.  Though, I was sick as a dog... I was laughing my ass off.

I just wanted to lay down, die.  Not only that... I would die... laughing.
******
Note:  The good thing is... the few times I ever experimented with things... I never became an alcoholic, nor addicted to drugs.  I became afraid of both...

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I would like to have been a fly on the wall and seen you drunk! Ha! I bet that was a sight to see. I do remember you loved to dance. We both did! I am glad you did not like alcohol or drugs. We still have our self respect! Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete