Friday, August 15, 2014

Fatal Infection ... (Learn how an everyday thing almost killed my husband ... something we all do ... know what to do, if it happens to you)




Fatal Infection ... (Learn how an everyday thing almost killed my husband ... something we all do ... know what to do, if it happens to ... you)

By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee



 
Photo Credit:  Of, and owned by Gloria Faye Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee


Well ... let me begin with August 3rd, Sunday ... Skip was moving some old, rusty fence wire. He was just making thing neat outside.

He got stuck by a little piece of wire sticking out. I told him to wash it with soap, and water ... put peroxide on it. He didn't think it necessary.

Each day, the little place began to get much redder, 'bigger' red than the day before. He thought it would get better ... it didn't.

Skip came home on the evening of the 6th ... he was having cold chills, shaking all over, high fever. His blood pressure had soared very high. Not only that ... his arm had swollen so big ... huge! I drove him to the Emergency Room.

There ... as soon as the doctor looked at his arm ... and listened to me ... he ordered antibiotics by IV, a tetanus shot, and pain medicine. He told Skip that he had almost ... waited too late.

'Too late' ... meaning the infection could have been fatal. He kept telling Skip that he should have come in earlier, instead of waiting ... 4 days to come in!

Skip stayed in the hospitals on continuous antibiotics for almost 5 days! He was in really bad condition. When his doctor came to see him, she told him about waiting as long as he did. She told him that it could have turned into sepsis, and be fatal.

I was talking to a nurse ... she told me that when you break the skin, you need to wash it out 'right now' ... with soap and water. Even 'squeeze' the wound a little to let it bleed some.

I have learned so much through the past week ... I will always run to wash a wound if I become hurt. I keep thinking how in 'old days', this was one of the things that ... killed people. No one would really know why someone died. People didn't know to wash their hands, much less ... wash a wound out when cut on something.

Skip is home, now. Thankfully, he's going to be alright. He is now, on oral antibiotics for a week. We both know to wash any wound out as soon as possible ... to keep from getting a fatal infection. Skip almost ... died.

.......................................


Photo/Story Credit: Owned by Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee

.......................................


Note by this author: 2014 ... My husband, Skip ... got stuck by the wire on August 3rd ... he didn't seek medical attention until August 6th. He was immediately put on IV with antibiotics, admitted.

He stayed on antibiotics, shots in his stomach to keep blood clots from forming. Medicine to bring down his blood pressure; medicine for the really bad pain in his arm. He had become confused from the high fever he kept for several days. He got to come home the evening of August 11th. He is on two different oral antibiotics for another week.

Remember, you can prevent this from happening to you. Simply wash any break in the skin with soap and water. Myself ... I would put some peroxide on any wound after I wash it .... strictly what 'I would do to myself'. I'm not a doctor, so ... I can't advise anyone.

If you would like to know more ... Google 'cellulitis' ... and 'sepsis'.  If you ever see redness around the wound begin to ... spread ... get to the doctor!

#Cellulitis
#Sepsis

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why men don't want to listen to women when something like that happens. Perhaps next time Skip (and other people) will do as they are suppose to. Seek professional help!! I am glad Skip is alright now. He has a really good nurse at home to take care of him! Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete