Friday, March 27, 2015

Even Sweet Things Bite ...


Even Sweet Things Bite ...
By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee



My little hands parted the green blades of grass
The leaves of the different flowers planted there
I wanted to find the bottom of the flower I had chosen
So that I could pick it for my grandma

Instead my eyes were riveted on the nest there
With little baby mice in it, how sweet they were
My heart melted as I pick some of the babies up
It quickly became cold when one of them bit me hard

I put it back down, tilted my head
Looking at something so sweet, precious
Then, looking at my finger to see the blood
That damn little mouse bit me…. on the finger

With that on my mind, I ran into the house of Hell
To tell my Grandma Alma, George
About the little nest of mice I’d just found
Someone mentioned they’d have to kill them

I ran back outside, quickly found that nest
I took it to another place, hid it well
Someone came out to kill the babies
They didn’t… because to this day they never found them
:)))

Photos/true poem owned, written by Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee/@grannygee

1 comment:

  1. That is what I truly call an animal lover! Who else would save mice from being killed? Especially since one of them bit you? Your love for animals shines through you in many different ways! Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete