Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Hoist That Rottie in the Air! Pull Him Down ... Pull Him Down!

Rottie in the Air ...
By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee/@GeeGranny







Photo of Kissy, our Rottie now.  Sweet Chadwick, our yellow Pup is gone now (January 16, 2015). Photo owned by me, Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee.








I don't know if you are like me in wanting to improvise ways to do things.  You know like when you are trying to problem-solve.


Like when you don't know what in the world you could find, use to accomplish some deed you want done.  I like to make things from ... nothing.


Like when you want to trim a Rottweiler's nails.  Like when that Rottweiler doesn't want his nails trimmed.  Like when he gets very pissed-off if he even thinks you are going toward his nails.


See, years ago, I had my first Rottweiler.  I loved him with my Heart.  I began by trimming his nails to the tune of ... vanilla wafers.  He loved vanilla wafers!  (Now ... I know vanilla wafers are NOT good for Pups!)


I had to be very fast trimming his nails ... as time went by he grew bigger ... and the vanilla wafers would go quicker ... he'd run out of them, get an attitude!  He had a growl that intimidated me!


He was my teddy bear but, he didn't put up with nonsense.  It would be like, "Girl, you better get some more of them vanilla wafers"!


I learned this when I thought I could keep on trimming ... he looked me in the eyes, did a growl ... he held my hand in his mouth.  He didn't bite ... but, he successfully taught me ... who was boss.  No more vanilla wafers for him!  I don't even know if vanilla wafers would have worked anymore.


Each day while working, I would think about how I could improvise a way to trim his nails.  I thought of how I could keep his head at a safe distance while trimming.   Of course, I didn't want to hurt my baby.


A light bulb went off one day.  I knew what I was going to do!  I talked to my brother and Tommy, my son.  I had a team ... and this was going to work ... I was sure it would.  I knew it would be safe at the same time.


I went to my mother, talked to her.  She let me have one of her queen-sized sheets ... I took my scissors to it.  I made 4 holes in it for my Rottie's legs to go through.  I knew when I got ready ... his head, tail would be at the edge of the sheet on either side ... legs through the holes.


I called my team ... my brother, son ... they brought rope with them.  They helped me to secure the rope onto the sheet.  See, the plan was ... my Rottie was going to put each leg in a hole on the sheet.  I would then, draw the sheet up around him ... his head would stick out on one side ... tail would be at the other side.


The rope had been thrown over a wooden beam, a rafter ... in the room my step-father was remodeling.  All my brother, son had to do was to hoist that sheet, Rottweiler in it ... I would hurry, trim every nail on his feet.


You know ... do like those mechanics on race-cars.  They have their stuff together!  I was sure I had my stuff together, too!  I could work on this ... car!


The sheet, my Rottie went up into the air.  He had a surprised expression on his face ... I began to quickly trim his nails.  Be damned, if he didn't scare Hell out of me!  He made a growl like something I'd never heard!


"Let him down, let him down"!  My brother, son let him down gently.  I told them I couldn't do it.  That growl made all the other growls he'd ever made ... sound like little meows!  This growl told me something.  I listened.


I never did get to trim his nails.  Thankfully, vets know how to do that!  Today when Kissy, our Rottie goes to the vet ... they trim his nails.


See, it's a different Rottweiler in a different time ... he doesn't like it either.  Rather than to put me, him to the stress ... I let them trim his nails ... and he doesn't mind.


Don't try this at your home.  Sweets are bad for your dogs.  I don't think it's a good idea to pull a rope/sheet trick like I did either.


I don't think it wise to swing a Rottweiler from a rafter!  Nor tempt a Rottie with vanilla wafers!







Note by this Author:



I hope you don't do a dumb thing like I did regarding vanilla wafers, and putting my Rottie up in the air like he was a car to work on.  So much for bright ideas!  He was never in danger ... I still don't think anyone should do what I did.



This is a true story of my life.  I was telling our Vet today about doing that.  They trimmed our Kissy's nails today.  I'm so glad!  :)



Photos/story are owned by me ... Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee



1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have seen you when that Rottie growled at you up in the air! I bet you turned white as a ghost! No I don't think anyone should try that at home either. Sometimes we learn things of what to do or not to do through experience. Love, Ms. Nancy

    ReplyDelete