Friday, December 14, 2018

Sometimes ... It Takes A Lot Of Ugly To Arrive At Pretty (Lots of Photos of Before/After)

Written by Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee/aka GG
(Story and Photos are owned by Me ... 2018)




I want to share something I wrote to share with a weight loss group I like.  

I began to notice the before and after photos never had a real story behind them.  You know what really happened to trigger one to gain weight ... a lot of times we can look back in our past and see straight off what happened ... when we began to become lost ... lose sight of ourselves that makes ... Us ... happiest.

We all love to be a perfect weight ... it means the world. So something we all love so much ... why isn't it easy to do?  Why can't we all be the perfect weight?

Life ... Life ... what happens in our Life ... happens.  When we live very real lives and we have so much happening in it that hurts us ... is what happens.

My life has been full of pain, loss beginning when I was a little girl ... it never stopped as I became older until today ... I hope today it will be many years before I feel more loss in my life.

 I've lost almost all my family including my only child ... it's a wonder I look or act like a human being today.  It's a wonder I didn't let go of Life when my only child died ... because the truth is ... I almost did and I wouldn't have cared one bit.

No one would have cared excepting my husband, Skip.  He never knew how I felt living in the darkness of grief ... I would smile at him ... reassuring him I would do right and be alright. When he'd get out of sight ... it was a different story. I tried to never add extra stress on him ... he worked so hard to care for us.  He cared so much about me ... and he was grieving, also.

Anyway ... I was thinking when I shared some of my very real story about losing weight and ... before and after photos ... when I got the comments of 'good job!' ... 'you are hot! ... you sure 'look good!' that ... that wasn't what I wanted. 

I was thinking I didn't share anything real that could help anyone lose weight ... share anything to show I'm real and have a very real life ... and what made me lose sight of myself.  Everyone shared their nice photos of the after ... after losing all that weight.

They showed the before photos ... but, not the before story of their journey onto the Weight Gain Road they traveled.  It's easy to bask in all the wonderful comments when you lost weight ... and now look good. 

You all know Me ... I'm thinking, mentally walking around things ... studying myself, others. I realized I did the same thing ... never giving anything of my real self, real pain ... to let others know hey, here's someone who ... really does know how it feels ... hey, it really wasn't easy for her to lose weight now.

So ... I went back to the weight loss group and did a real story about a real person and about ... the very real life of before, after.

Sure ... I'm like anyone else ... I love the comments I get now about my weight loss. I love dressing in the clothes I've always dressed in, loved ... again. 

Here's a ... 'But' ... it's easy to see only the pretty ... no one ever thinks of the hell, grief, pain one went through to arrive at ... pretty.  Sometimes ... it takes a lot of ugly to arrive at ... pretty.

It's fun to be Me again ... now, if we can get our life on an even keel ... we have to move in the dead of winter ... have medical situations and Skip and I both just had surgeries ... have no extra money for such. 

The owner of the home we live in has his own problems just as we all do.  We respect, understand ... no hard feelings at all. I figure if I could live, survive the death of my son ... I can get past this. NOTHING is worse than losing one's child. So with positive attitudes, we do the best we can ... and everything will be alright one way or other.

So ... here's what I wrote to share with everyone in the weight loss group ... I will include photos I shared.  I will let you see the UGLY photos to appreciate how far I've come ... and what triggered my weight gain.

These are the kind of photos we hesitate to show anyone ... can't bear to show people who don't know us.  How else can anyone understand, gain inspiration if someone isn't real and only shows ... PRETTY?  

Here's my story ... warning: UGLY photos ahead ... sometimes ... it takes a lot of ugly to arrive at ... pretty.  I'm so grateful to have just lost the weight so I can live the rest of my life without that burdening me after all I have been through. I love being called 'pretty' again ... but ... I love being smaller better.



I was on my tablet yesterday and all I had was photos of me at my heaviest but ... they reflected only my head 
I am on my computer where I have photos of both weight loss and 'before' photos. I will do this again.
I had my sleeve on April 20, 2016 ... after a while, I began to gain weight back. I gained thankfully only 10 lbs but, it scared me so much. I got back on track and I eat a lot of scrambled eggs and cheese and not a lot of other things unless it's protein food like meat, and some vegetables. I don't suggest to anyone how to lose weight.
We all have to find our own ways on this road to losing successfully ... gracious, it isn't easy at all, I mean to say. I still have to lose maybe 30 lbs to get to the weight I was always happiest at. I just got into size 12 jeans and want to go back to my size I used to be ... size 8-9 or 10.
I wish you all success with your weight loss journey. I know how it all feels and will never ever forget how it feels to not recognize myself in the mirror. It threw me farther back when I tried to cope with my terrible grief ... how could I if I couldn't find any trace of me? I needed something familiar ... my mirror only reflected this really big woman with the most pain I've ever seen ... in her eyes. I couldn't bear to look at her.
I lost myself when my only child died May 29, 2010 ... I can't believe how I looked ... I do remember trying to find Me in my mirror later in time, years ... I couldn't ... the stranger looking back at me in my grief-stricken mind was a stranger ... one who was very over-weight.
I know some wonder what happened to my child and I will say briefly that he was 40 years old and had just arrived at Myrtle Beach, SC looking forward to playing with his little 3-year-old son ... he collapsed, died on the sand while running, playing with him. No one knew he had blockages to his heart.
I was 200 miles away and still ... I was the first to know he died. Someone picked up his cell phone ... I heard words that threw me into darkness for all these years until the last 2 years ... he said, "Ma'am, I have someone collapsed here on the beach ... he's not breathing".
I had answered that phone call with a smile ... my caller ID showed it was my son, Tommy, calling. Everything is okay now ... I finally found peace and like Humpty-Dumpty ... I have been trying to put me back together again for the past 2 years. I can live with Me now.
I didn't mean to write such a long story ... I write so, I blame it on that  Many people remark on how pretty I am again and I'm a 'hot mama' and such things. Do you know what? All I can feel and think is ... Thank God I recognize Me in my mirror again, grateful to have lost so much weight.
Yes, I am just full of gratefulness now when as a younger woman the first thing I would have wanted to do would be like the old saying .... 'strut my stuff'. That's the last thing in my mind ... when you look in my eyes you see a deep sadness but, you see gratefulness ... so much gratefulness to be free of my weight that hid Me from myself.
I see the pain, recognize it in others ... my Heart feels. It hurts when for whatever reasons we gain weight ... we become trapped wanting to come back to the person we remember being.
It really is hard to find the way back. For me ... I had to do it while in grief-stricken darkness because I needed to see something familiar ... in my mirror ... where Me ... I am at ... where we all ... see the real us. Does that make sense? Only then did I have something to hold onto as I slowly came back to being Gloria.
I wish from my very Heart for all of you to accomplish your goals. I know how much it means, how it feels ... I have been there and I will have the weight-loss battle to always be ahead of the rest of my life. I pure love the wonderful flavors of good foods ... who doesn't?
I hope I haven't broken any rules but, I had to write so everyone knows my story ... my photos aren't just a 'pretty' photo ... there's a real story behind the person in them ... one we each have when we gain weight, lose weight.
All of you have your own story when you lost your way ... we each can look back and see, recognize almost when it began. It's hard, oh my .... it's so hard ... the whole journey of extra pounds and finally coming to the decision to lose it ... and that's even harder.
I send love, caring from my very Heart ... I know the pain, grief one goes through when they want to be themselves again ... lose themselves in the mirror. If I could ... I would make each of your battles won already so you could be happy again. Gloria Faye Brown Bates
I am showing you photos of what happened to me ... I'm not ashamed of them ... I've learned to have compassion for the woman in the photos. Sometimes ... when you look really hard you will see the pain in others' eyes ... I saw it in mine.
I included a photo of my beautiful son who died ... I almost died when I lost him. He would be proud to see me back to the person he knew when he lived. He would know it was an awful battle to reach ... today.
I will stop writing now ... please know I care enough to write the real story behind my 'today/after' photos ... so you don't think losing weight was easy 'for her'. No, for each of us it really isn't. 

Photos below:

Before:























Author's Note:

I don't know if you saw or missed it ... the photos whereas a very grief-stricken mother ... me trying to look in the mirror to find myself ... trying to figure out in my foggy mind what happened to me.  I let go again ... the pain was greater than finding Me.

I included a few more photos here than on the weight loss site. 

I have nothing but compassion, love for the awful, ugly woman you see ... I looked into my eyes and I felt the pure grief I was experiencing ... then. How can I hate myself when I knew well what I was going through?  Can you see the pure, raw pain in the overweight woman ... losing weight wasn't on her mind at all. She lost her child ... only child.



No comments:

Post a Comment